Time:2 - 5 Hours
Treat you and your date to a relaxing day spent touring a local vineyard and tasting its finest wines! Perfect for a clear and sunny day, you’ll be able to hold hands and talk while you stroll through lanes of grape trees and take in the lovely country scenery. You’ll both learn how the wine is made and aged before being walked through a private or small group tasting of the vineyard’s different varieties. If everything is going well and you and your date want to stretch the day into evening, many vineyards have highly rated on-site restaurants that pair their best wines with gourmet food. Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or just taking a day-cation, this is the perfect romantic date.
- Fair weather
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Tour, tasting and restaurant reservations (if necessary)
- You don’t need perfect weather to enjoy this date, but it doesn’t hurt! Try to arrange this in late Spring, Summer or Autumn, when the weather will likely be on your side. If you are expecting rain and can’t rearrange, pack raincoats, boots and umbrellas.
- Make reservations. Book the vineyard tour, wine tasting and table (if you would like to eat at the restaurant) ahead of time to ensure you can reserve spaces to all on the same day. It’s a good idea to eat a full breakfast and drink plenty of water before the tasting, especially if one of you is easily affected by alcohol (and if you’re staying for a wine-paired meal afterwards).
- Private time. This is a romantic day trip, so make the most of it and try to pull away from the group after the tour and take a walk alone together. If you have a special gift to present, this may be the best time to do it.
- Don’t over-indulge. Tastings are meant to be just that, so avoid drinking too much or requesting more wine. If you really like it, buy a bottle to bring home! Likewise, take it easy at dinner, especially if you’re driving afterwards. When making meal reservation, request a window table with a view!
If it’s your partner’s birthday, your anniversary, Valentine’s Day or another special occasion, you can surprise them by arranging ahead of time for a bouquet of flowers at the table or a special dessert to be served at the end of the meal.