Nothing says summer quite like the taste of delicious farm fresh vegetables, fruits and pies! And sometimes nothing does the soul better than fresh air on a bright, sunny day. The next time you’re planning a summer lunch date for someone special, make the most of it by taking them to a local farmer’s market! Visit the farmers’ stands together and crafting a perfect picnic to eat in a nearby park.
Your date will be impressed by your originality and you may find yourselves spending more time than anticipated browsing all the country offerings! You’ll be buying local, organic, healthy foods which support small businesses. This is an easy, inexpensive, feel good date for any couple!
- Picnic Blanket
- Picnic Basket
- Plates, Cups and Eating Utensils
- Sun Protection
- Wine or Champagne (optional)
- Find a farmer’s market. Nowadays, farmstands and farmer’s markets abound! And while a bit of fresh country air is always nice, you don’t even have to leave the city anymore to find one. Search online for markets in your area with opening hours that coincide with the time of your date. In most cases, the same sellers attend such markets every week and you’ll be able to find a list of the kinds of products on offer.
- Travel to the market. After picking up your date or meeting them somewhere central, head to the market. Make sure that you’ve printed out directions (if necessary) ahead of time, that your vehicle is clean and that you’re on time! Not all farmer’s markets have drinks on hand, so it’s a good idea to pack some bottled water and a (closed) bottle of wine or champagne in a cooler.
- Build a picnic. This part of the date is usually the most fun! Take your time looking at all the different stalls, from homemade pastries to special salads, freshly baked breads, pickles, fruits, cheeses and meats. Choose everything together or take turns - take advantage of the opportunity to try new and things! Freshly baked breads, cheeses and aside from food, there will likely be plenty of other homemade, handcrafted items for sale. Take your time and enjoy! Tip: Offer to pay and bring cash, preferably small notes. Many farm stands don’t accept credit cards or checks and have limited abilities to make change.
- Find a quiet place to eat. Think this over before the date begins - is there a picturesque town square, a pretty park or a comfortable bench in a quiet area somewhere near the market? This is a date, and it should include plenty of good conversation during which you’re focused on your partner. Find a comfortable place to eat, lie down a picnic blanket, spread out your goodies and toast to your success!
If your date is a vegetarian, this idea will make them adore you! And, especially if you live together, consider buying some extra produce to cook the next night.