It’s not just for blue-haired ladies anymore! A date to the bingo hall... cheesy? Maybe. But it will also be one of the most surprisingly fun dates you ever go on!
Cheap, cool (because we say so) and funny! Wherever you are in the world, you’re probably closer than you think to a friendly (or feisty!) neighborhood bingo game. Far from boring, it can be a real test of speed and mental agility with some bingo veterans play with as many as 30 cards at a time (aided by one of their many troll good luck charms, of course). Entry fees are minimal, winnings range from cash to electronics to furniture, and the people watching can’t be beat!
So the next time you’re looking for something different to do with your partner on a weeknight, grab your daubers and head down to your local bingo hall. Forget any preconceptions and you’ll have a blast!
- Daubers (can be purchased there)
- Snacks & Drinks (can be purchased there)
- Good Luck Charms (optional)
- Find a bingo game to join. While fewer in number than they used to be, plenty of bingo halls are still operating around the country. Beyond that, many churches, pubs, casinos, community halls and veterans associations also host weekly games that attract regulars from miles around. If you don’t know of any in your area, look online. If possible, avoid the pricier mega-halls and large casinos until you feel like making a bigger committment.
- Preparation. All you really need is cash! Regulars tend to bring their own daubers (the flat-tipped markers used to mark the cards), but there are usually some for sale when you buy your tickets on arrival. Cards are also bought then and snacks, water and soft drinks will be on sale (though you can feel free to save some money and bring your own). Dress nicely, as this is a date, but casually.
- Have fun! Buy as many cards as you think you can each keep track of at once, but keep in mind that numbers are called very quickly and the game will become more frustrating than fun if you keep falling behind. Don’t expect to win anything (it’s completely random, but first-timers tend not to win), but do take the time to observe your neighbors (especially their wacky charms and superstitions) and have a friendly chat. You and your date will be laughing all night!