Want loads of hot dates online without commitment? Too young/old/smart/naïve to get married at this time in your life? Welcome to the world of serial dating.
Serial no strings dating is what it sounds like, you meet and date as many people as you want whilst (hopefully) being open about the fact that you’re not looking for any form of commitment. Serial daters measure relationships in hours or days rather than the more conventional months and years, and take pride in not settling down too soon.
By keeping their options open, serial daters inevitably increase their pool of potential dates. For those who don’t know what they want, or are mainly looking for sex and romance, it’s the ideal scenario.
Sound like you? If you’re looking to pursue a lifestyle of serial dating online then there are a few key do’s and dont’s that will make your life a lot easier. So, without further ado, below are my top five tips for the would be serial dater.
1. Make sure your dates overlap – Now I give this tip with some reservations. There have been those that have turned overlapping dates to their advantage. In fact, some dating gurus recommend it as their principle strategy for wheedling their way into FFM threesomes.
This, however, takes a lot more confidence to pull off than a lot of us possess. For most of us, arranging to meet two people at the same time and the same place would simply be a disaster. Other twin errors include forgetting exactly which girl it is that you’re meeting and turning up at the wrong place at the wrong time. If you’re going to date a few different people at once, get a decent diary or use Google Calendar or something – you’re going to need to organise your time efficiently if you’re going to fit that many partners into a week.
2. Set boundaries – If your date ends up inviting you home to meet her parents, then you’re doing it wrong. You’re going to want to keep in touch with your dates, but not spend too much time talking to them and building a relationship unless this is what you’re after.
Limit phone calls and emails to arranging a time to meet and a little bit of banter. Make sure you know how much time you want to spend with this person and you don’t allow them any more than you want to give.
3. Be honest and upfront – Dating a few people at the same time is the smart way to date in the 21st century. With more options available to most people than ever before, it’s smart to keep them open in order to ensure that you get what you want from the dating game. However, dating other people without their knowledge is just sleazy. It is at best misleading and at worst a betrayal of trust, and if events take a turn for the worst it can really blow up in your face. This is definitely a tip to bear in mind.
4. Keep it light – When on your dates, try to keep the conversation light and steer carefully away from topics such as marriage, children, commitment and even religion and politics. After all, if you’re only going to be spending a few weeks with someone you don’t necessarily need to know the in’s and out’s of what makes them tick. Live in the moment and try to fit in as much fun as possible.
5. Prioritise – If you’re going to be spending that much time on dates, either dating several people at once or one after another, then you’re going to want to make sure you leave yourself some you-time. Make sure you prioritise your time and don’t get sucked into spending too much time dating people without reward. If it’s starting to dominate your life without remaining fun, then you may need to stop and reassess the way you spend your time.
Overall, dating a few people at once, or even a few people one after the other, is far more of a juggling act than a traditional relationship. To make sure you get the most of it, put a little bit of effort into planning to make sure that you get what you want from the experience.