February 18th, 2013 by Simone Paget
How to Tell if He is Your Boyfriend
You’ve been dating for awhile. It feels like you’re spending a lot of time together. Does this mean he’s your boyfriend?!
Before you have the potentially awkward conversation where you ask “are we boyfriend and girlfriend?” – it’s natural to look for signs as to whether things are headed in that direction. It kind of reminds me of that episode of Seinfeld where Jerry and George are trying to figure out if one of them has a girlfriend. One of the friends asks the other:
“Do you have tampons in your bathroom?”
“Looks like you’ve got yourself a girlfriend”
If you’re in a similar situation, here’s a few signs that the person you’re dating is likely your boyfriend:
1. He keeps a toothbrush (or other personal grooming items) at your house. Bonus points if he actually purchased the toothbrush himself and suggested he keep it in your bathroom. Same goes if he suggested you keep a toothbrush at his place and he displays it prominently – i.e. with his toothbrush, NOT hidden away in his sock drawer or other covert hiding spot.
2. His mom knows about you and you know things about his Mom.
3. He’s met your parents or expressed an interest in meeting them (i.e. the idea doesn’t freak him out)
4. He’s met some of your friends and you’ve met some of his.
4. You’re comfortable talking about the future together. I’m not saying you need to discuss stuff like marriage and babies right away, but if you’re actually a couple you should be able to talk about checking out a concert that happening in a few weeks, or him being your date at an upcoming function without things feeling weird or awkward.
5. You’ve asked him to get tested for STDs and he has….and so have you. Even if you haven’t called each other “boyfriend” or “girlfriend” this is a good sign that you’re both interested in being exclusive.
6. He does little things that prove that he’s been paying attention to who you are. Whether that means turning on your favourite radio station when you get in the car, or making sure he has your favourite gummy candy on hand for movie night – doing little things like this show that that he wants you to know he appreciates you.
7. He invites you to stay over just because he wants you around. For example, you’re both wiped out, knows it is that time of the month, but he still wants you to sleep over so he can see you in the morning.
8. You’ve had “the talk” Every situation is different and the “signs” we’ve listed above aren’t fool proof. The only way to find out for sure if someone is your boyfriend is to ask them straight up.
What do you guys think?