With the revelation a few years ago that stars as big as Halle Berry and Joan Rivers have used online dating sites, more and more people soon began searching for a celebrity love affair online. Various spurious websites soon emerged claiming to “allow you to date actual celebrities!” while only really holding copious profiles of celebrity lookalikes and so-called “Hollywood insiders”. So, putting aside all the fakes and the hype, is there any truth to the rumour that you can bag a date with a top celebrity online?
Image Credit: Flickr
Well, the truth is that a lot of celebrities do go incognito on ordinary online dating sites just so that they can remember what it felt like to be an Average Joe. Most so-called celebrity dating sites are scams that charge extra for you to talk to minor celebrities who are paid for their time.
However, the real deal is still out there if you’re lucky enough to chance upon them.
Below I list 7 real famous people who are known to have genuinely posted profiles, mostly anonymously, on popular dating or social networking sites. Many of these profiles are no longer present, and the stars; love lives have moved on, but it just goes to show that finding a celebrity online is not as impossible as some might think.
- Halle Berry – In 2006 Halle Berry admitted in an interview with a music magazine that she had tried online dating, and spent some time in internet chat rooms. She chatted anonymously, joining in with the conversations she found most interesting.
- Joan Rivers – The comedian and businesswoman Joan Rivers is well known to have set up a profile on Match.com, in her own name. The profile is, very likely no longer on the website.
- Rivers Cuomo – Lead singer of the alternative power-pop band Weezer is known to have used online dating sites before getting married to Kyoko Ito in 2006. Before returning to the dating game he had observed a 2 year stint of celibacy.
- Luke Greenfield – Director of “The Girl Next Door” and “The Animal”, Greenfield is known to have posted his profile on JDate, the dating site exclusively for Jewish singles.
- Amy Winehouse – The soul singer who eventually conceded and did go to rehab, is known to have a genuine Facebook account.
- Orlando Bloom – Admitted to having set up a secret Facebook account, with aim of meeting girls who did not already know about his fame and fortune.
- Gordon Brown – Yes, even the UK’s Prime Minister has slapped a picture and brief bio up on Facebook. Like most senior politicians, his PR team maintains a real account so that fake accounts are never written about in blogs like this. You can’t message or add him though – it’s just a name and a face. Maybe he should try married dating!
So, all in all, finding celebrity love online is not easy, but with a little charm and a lot of luck it certainly isn’t impossible.