December 17th, 2013 by Simone Paget
14 Things Beyonce Has Taught Me About Love
At midnight ET Friday, Beyonce surprised us all and made pop culture history when she dropped an unexpected full length album via iTunes. The self titled album which was publicized largely by social media overnight, sold more than 80,000 copies in it’s first three hours.
Whether you love Queen B (like I do) or not, there’s no doubt that Mrs. Carter is a force to be reckoned with. She’s also the voice behind some of our favourite love anthems for both single & non-single ladies alike. Because Beyoncé, features 14 tracks (+14 accompanying videos and extra visual content), I thought I would share with you 14 things that Beyonce has taught me about love.
1. We’re all survivors and more often than not, breakups lead to personal growth – Yes, love can tear you apart inside. And yes, it may feel like you can’t survive without that one person in your life…but guess what, you can and you will. As Beyonce and her Destiny’s Child ladies like to remind us, “Now that you’re out of my life, I’m so much better. You thought that I’d be weak without you, but I’m stronger.” Sometimes it just takes being on the other side of a breakup to realize that it was for the best.
2. If he likes it, he better put a ring on it – Ok, so not all relationships need to lead to marriage. However, I think what Beyonce is getting at here is that we all need to value ourselves and our time. If a guy can’t step up and show you he wants to be part of your life – he isn’t worth your time. Which brings me to my third point…
3. It’s always better to be fabulous and single than in an unhappy relationship where you’re not valued – Yes, all the single ladies, I’m talking to you. Keep your heads high.
4. You deserve to be with someone who has their life together – As Destiny’s Child taught us, if a guy is always borrowing your car and can’t pay his own bills, bills, bills, it’s time to keep walking. Yes, relationships are about more than just material things, and yes, they do involve a lot of give and take – however, if the person you’re with always seems to be doing the “taking” it’s time to walk away.
5. Relationships are work and sometimes you have to mix things up – Whether that’s going on a romantic date with your partner or putting on your “freakum dress” – sometimes you just need to be reminded of why you got together in the first place to get the sparks flying.
6. Love is so blind that it feels right when it’s wrong – I’m sure most of us can relate to this. Love has a way of clouding our judgement and many of us end up in relationships with people who are completely wrong for us. It happens. Instead of beating yourself up, learn from the experience and move on with grace.
7. Don’t dwell on a break-up – Have your tears, feel all the feelings, listen to sad, angry songs – do whatever you need to do and then let it go. Trust me, it’s a liberating feeling.
8. I’ve got me, myself and I – Relationships come and go. At the end of the day, you have to love yourself first before you can love anyone else. Like Beyonce says, be your own best friend. Take care of you.
9. Sometimes the worst break-ups can teach you the most, if you let them – As B. says, “You hurt me, but I learned a lot along the way.” When the dust settles from a breakup, take some time to reflect on what you learned and try to keep that in mind next time you find yourself in a similar situation.
8. Don’t believe any guy who says you’re a fool and that “you’ll never find another guy like him” – Um, isn’t that the point? Anyone who says that deserves to have their stuff put in a cardboard box to the left…to the left.
9. Being in love actually can make you crazy – That song “Crazy in Love” is no joke. Scientific research has shown that when you’re super into someone, your brain chemistry actually changes, causing you to feel a high similar to taking drugs. Science y’all.
10. You don’t have to be perfect all the time – So, someone photographed you making an ugly face while performing at the Superbowl or you did something super embarrassing while you were on a date – don’t sweat it. We’re all human. Instead, be like Beyonce – keep moving forward and focus on being awesome.
11. Trust your intuition – If your gut says that he’s a dog and that he has other chicks on the side (“rocking chinchilla coats”) have the courage to listen to it. We all deserve better than dating a two-timing d-bag.
12. Listen to your friends – If your friends (or worse, the friends of the person you’re dating) have warned you about someone, listen to them. Where there is smoke, there is usually fire. “Ring the Alarm” and get out of there.
13. It’s possible to be happily married, a mother and have a great career – I think one of the reasons we love Beyonce and Jay-Z as a couple is because they look legitimately happy and into each other. They somehow manage to make it work despite being two of the biggest stars on the planet. How they do it, I don’t know, but it’s inspiring none the less.
14. Girls run the world – As women, we give so much power to men (will he call? does he like me?) that we forget how powerful we really are. When it comes to your relationships, don’t just ask for respect, demand it.