10 Reasons I’m Thankful I’m Single
By: Simone Paget |
With American Thanksgiving right around the corner and the holiday season approaching, it’s easy as a single person to slip into a case of the “holiday blues.” However, it’s also a great time of year to take stock of the good things in your life. While I could easily write a whole post about how couples who take cutesy holiday photos together in matching outfits make me want to blow chunks, I’m going to share with you a few reasons why I’m thankful to be single instead.
Here are a few reasons why I’m grateful to be single –
1. You don’t have to worry about subjecting someone else to your family’s disfunction. Family events are stressful enough without having to worry about how the person you’re dating will react to your Aunt Marnie’s prying questions (“So, how is your sex life?”) or uncle Bob’s graphic war stories that he likes to tell at the dinner table (“So, this one time in Nam…”) Instead, you can just sit back, relax and drink your way through these events like you usually do without any judgement.
2. You don’t have to worry about meeting their family. You know what’s worse than your dysfunctional family? Someone else’s dysfunctional family. Studies have shown that being single during holidays reduces your family related stress by 20%. Just kidding. I have no idea if that’s true. What I do know is that not having to worry about impressing someone else’s family definitely takes a load off during this busy time of year.
3. You can plan your weekends around what you want to do – Whether that’s shopping all day long, going for a boozy brunch with my girlfriends, spending a night drinking and dancing with friends, or hibernating in my PJ’s with Netflix, being single gives me the freedom to do whatever I want without worrying about whether the person I’m dating will feel left out.
4. You can engage in questionable behaviour without hurting anyone’s feelings – A few weekends ago I went to a strip club with a couple of my guy friends and you know what? It was kind of awesome. The weekend before I got day drunk with my girlfriends while enjoying some really amazing sangria. Whether you want to make-out with a cute stranger or look at naked ladies with your friends, being single provides the perfect opportunity to get this kind of stuff out of your system without hurting anyone.
5. You can save money – Although I love picking out gifts for the person I’m dating, being single that means I can put the money that I’d normally spend on a really awesome pricey gift towards something else – like some solo travel in the New Year or a major stock-up at Sephora.
6. You can be as selfish as you want – When you’re single you can pursue your passions without worrying about how they’ll effect your partner. Pick up and move across the country because you’re craving a change of scenery? Done! Six week solo yoga retreat in Peru? Done! Being single provides you with the kind of flexibility to travel and experience new things, 100% on your own terms.
7. You don’t have to deal with Mr. Wrongs – There’s nothing lonelier than being in a relationship with the wrong person – especially during the holiday season. Being single means you can focus on spending time with your friends and family, without any added relationship drama. I’m very thankful for all the oh-so-wrong-for-me guys I won’t be spending the holidays with this year.
8. Much needed alone time – If I want to spend a cold, winter night in an adult one-sie watching “The Muppet’s Christmas Carol” while I eat cookie batter right out of the bowl, I can do so with zero judgement.
9. The world is full of possibilities – If you haven’t met the right person yet, that means you could potentially meet them at any time. That’s pretty exciting when you think about it. Life is an adventure! Seize the day!
10. Holiday Hook-ups – Tis the season when other singles will be looking to deck the halls. Whether you’re hoping to meet someone or maybe just have a hot make-out with someone at a Holiday party, ample booze and cheer make this time of year the perfect opportunity to get out there and meet other singles.
Why are you thankful to be single?